Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Quick road painting

 

With the road on place made from 3mm thick MDF, I decided that it could do with a quick coats of paint. Noth the final coat, that was going to need some messing around with tarmac colours, but something to seal the surface so it looked sort of OK in photos for magazine features. 

To do this, I nicked a trick from Chris Nevard and blasted away with Halford's car primer aerosols. Using just black and grey, I shot random bursts on to the material quickly so they mixed a little. 

The result isn't half bad. OK, I still need to do it properly, but for many models, this would be good enough. I've certainly seen worse in the past. Give it go, you might be pleasantly surprised.

4 comments:

James Finister said...

Did you seal the MDF first, and is that just the MDF texture showing through?

Phil Parker said...

I worked straight on the MDF without sealant. Primer dries fast enough to not make the stuff swell and anyway, I want a tiny (note, tiny) amount of texture on the road. It's going to get a dose of enamel splodged on with sponges eventually.

James H said...

Add some talc to the enamel too Phil...

Phil Parker said...

I always add talc. It's a modelling secret I regularly tell people about, but only a few of us believe in! Perhaps if it was sold in little bags marked "modelmaking powder" then that would help? Me - I'll just keep raiding the bathroom cabinet.