Monday, October 16, 2023

Trackster repair

 

No modelling action this week. Work has been manic, with several evenings given over to me wishing paint and glue would dry faster to hit deadlines. However, I have bagged a few gems from various second-hand stalls recently, so I'll feature them to keep the posts-a-coming. 

Let's start with a fivers worth of Bachmann US road-rail vehicles. Picked up at the 009 Society 50th event, I assume it stayed on the table because no-one wanted a weird standard-gauge vehicle. Well, apart from weird me anyway. 


On the workbench, the first job was to clean the driving wheels. Since they also handle pickups, any dirt is going to be a big issue. Let's face it, slow running over pointwork is never going to be this models forte, but I'll give it a chance. 

The two stage gears are nice, but only when the worm meshes properly, and this one didn't. Not until I made up a little plastic piece to push the motor down when the body is on. I can't see how it's moving, but it certainly is, and this cures the problem. The cost is the back end sticking up slightly, but that's a bit of a dragster stance, and hardly obvious in real life.

Running still isn't amazing until the motor has warmed up. In reverse, it's quite sweet, but forwards is a little rough. Anoying that, but it's still fun.

No comments: