Wednesday, October 09, 2024

Cleaning away primer

 

Time to move on to the whitemetal body. The part-build is a bit odd. We have some large lumps of metal for the footplate and tank, plus the more vulnerable whistles attached on top. 

Everything is glued together with what looks like an epoxy. Very old skool, I'm going to be soldering for speed, and also the ability to tack parts together while I check the fit. Also, I like soldering whitemetal. Using an adjustable soldering iron, it's nicer than working with glue. 

However, soldering requires clean metal, and the model has been sprayed with primer. No worry, I had a new tool I thought would deal with this, the Le Crayon metal cleaning brush, from TMC

Originating in the metal detecting world, where it is used to clean up delicate finds, it's very fine wire wool in a wooden pencil-style holder. 

Sold for cleaning wheels, I was woried about scratching the surface of the tyres, but that would make it perfect for stripping away the primer. 

Except it isn't. That wire wool is very fine, and gentle on the surface. Forget damaging tyres, it will be ideal for that job. It just shows how first impressions can be wrong!

In the end, I scraped the worst of the primer away with a knife, and then polished the metal with the brush - a job it did superbly. The metal shines like silver, and effect I've only achieved with Brasso in the past, but this does it without leaving any residue, or any signs of a scratch. Very impressive.

3 comments:

James Finister said...

Interesting that it is marketed as an alternative to glassfibre brushes - which are really useful, but do have their hazards

Phil Parker said...

I've used it a few times since writing this post, and it really seems like a viable alternative. As you say, glassfibre brushes can have issues.

Mark said...

I was going to suggest a glassfibre brush might be a better alternative but agree they certainly have "issues".

One question though... so far I've avoided whitemetal as I'd not previously had a temperature controlled iron. I've now got a Pinecil and can easily control the temperature but not sure what solder and temperature would be best. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.