Job done. I was aiming for a faded look for this wagon, so dug out a Lifecolor Weathered Wood pack of paints to give them a go.
I tend to find these paints a bit pale, the White Wood is basically six of pots of white, but for this job, they looked OK. Anyway, this is what "proper" modellers use, so I really ought to have a go.
First, the entire model was painted with Cold Base Colour, a beige. Then dry-brushed with Cold Light Stage. Once this was dry, a wash of Warm Base Colour to emphasis the grain and plank lines. This took a bit of working, but I think the end result is OK.
All the metalwork is colour with a AK black marker and them touched in with rust from the Lifecolor Rust Wizard set.
For such an old kit, this really comes up well and was great fun to build - more details on the Binnie website.

4 comments:
Interesting finish. For some reason I painted mine red, but that was a long long time ago. I've been playing around with paint pens on some 120th scale narrow gauge models and finding easier to use than brushes or airbrush in some cases. weathering the inside of wagons being one case.
I have a feeling the steel ones were painted red oxide, and maybe the wooden ones were too. I was going for the stuck on a Welsh hillside for years look.
Paint pens - loving them. I need to buy more colours!
I like that effect Phil. I have the same paint set but struggle to get the faded & worn look. Any chance you could put together a little "stage- by- stage" demo ( still or video ) of this technique?
That is because I am a modelling god Barry! :-) Good idea. I'll see what i can do. I have a few kits that it would be worth trying out on, and some new camera gear that could do with a test.
Post a Comment