Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Soft furnishings


The "padding" on the beds and sofa in the barge is made from pieces of pre-cut MDF, to be covered by the builder. 

I raided my mum's material scraps for something suitable. These aren't big cushions, but it's a modelling job I've never done before. Each piece was wrapped, and glued along one side with PVA, held with a couple of small bulldog clips. Then I was distracted, and left them for a couple of weeks. 

Coming back to the task, the material had stuck, but I needed to work around curved corners, which with the PVA and clips, seemed a little challenging. So, I changed to superglue, which sets fast enough that the excess material can be tugged to keep the tension. 

It worked!

Within a few minutes, everything was stuck in place, the glue hadn't ruined the front of the material, and I could trim the excess with curved nail scissors.  

Some small cushions seemed to be required. Why is it that the softest and most comfortable seat in the house, needs a ton of small cushions? 

Anyway, these are balsa wood squares, roughly shaped (you can't see much through the windows) and wrapped in tissue, again, held with superglue. The surface is a bit wrinkly, but looks OK. 

No comments: