Saturday, July 29, 2006

LMS Railcar


LMS Railcar
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Rooting around my local auction I was digging into a box of model railway tat and struck gold. Among the used Hornby buildings, broken O gauge Hornby and stuff there was this – a wooden OO model of an LMS 1930’s railcar.

Fortunately no one else showed any interest in the model although the second hand buildings in the lot had them looking and I was able to buy it for a price that should allow me to recoup my money from eBay.

The model fascinates me. It’s unfinished but is complete enough to appreciate the workmanship involved. As far as I know no kit was ever available for this prototype. The cleanness of the model making is astounding though. If the wooden sides weren’t die cut, how are the windows so square ? Curving the ends must also have been a challenge. I’m assuming the material was steamed otherwise it surly would have splintered.

Does anyone recognise this model ? Was it a kit ? If so, who produced it ?

I’ll still need to acquire bogies to finish the model – or cast some from the one currently attached.. Provision has been made for a motor bogie, which should by rights be a Tri-ang item. For the minute the model will be boxed up and put in the maturing cupboard. If I’m right it’s nearly 40 years old already so another few years won’t matter.

No comments: