Friday, July 28, 2006

Taller box


Taller box
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
I have to confess that the last post to this blog was actually written a few days ago. Since then a quick ‘phone call has elicited the supply of a set of gears with the correct input shafts (1.5 not 2mm – it matters !) and a new taller gearbox.

The new box fitted fine once I’d removed the bit of paxolin intended to support the pick-ups. A word of advice here, if using Gibson wheels, check the axles. I managed to put the EM one in and start fitting the wheels before I noticed…

The cut outs in the chassis don’t need to be as big now but suprisingly they are still required. This motor is quite a chubby chap ! I still hope that under the footplate they don’t show up.

The rods and cranks were re-fitted and with a bit more fettling whirl round amazingly (for one of my chassis) smoothly. It was all a bit sticky before I oiled the axle with the cranks on though. A couple of drops and like magic, everything was fine. The effect was something I’ve never experienced, oil normally improves things but not instantly or as markedly.

One problem is that the motor now sits further back in the chassis. Which means it won’t go in the body because the cab front gets in the way. Grrrrrrrrrr.

No comments: