Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Plank


Pop Pop Plank
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.

At the weekend I plan to enter the KMBC Plank sailing competition. The aim is to sail your plank from one side of our lake to the other. Power to to be provided by something other than an electric motor and battery.

For my attempt, I'm using a Pulsating Water Engine. It's old technology but fun. The engine is made of a bent copper tube warmed over a candle. Since I've not built one before I prototyped the device using a singe bit of tubing fitted to the hull with drawing pins.

Once I'd learnt that you have to fill the tube with water (prime in technical parlance) the craft worked pretty well, scooting across the bath at a reasonable speed. The tea-light lasted well so I reckon it will do for the trip on the lake. Some sort of shield will be needed to cope with the wind though.

A new more powerful engine is under construction and I'll be testing this soon.

And if you fancy having a go yourself, try this page.

No comments: