Sunday, July 13, 2008

My new favourite shade of black


Painted Ruston Chassis
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
...is weathered black from Precision Paints. It's like normal black but with a hint of dark grey. Pedants will say it is actually a dark grey but then they would also say you don't get pure black in nature so any black is a dark grey or perhaps dark blue.

Anyway, now the sandbox castings have arrived I've drilled them for the pipes (fat brass wire) and glued them to the chassis. I know solder is the "proper" way but I wasn't convinced I'd get enough heat in the join and not disturb something else so I scraped the primer off and used a smear of Araldite to fix them. The primer was well stuck as it took a fair bit of scraping to remove.

Once dry a spray of the aforementioned weathered black added colour. I blew over some thinned brown as well - might as well get the dirt on early and behind the wheels too.

With the bearings cleaned up this chassis looks really nice. And yes I will bend the sand pipes but not until the wheels are in, OK ?

No comments: