Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Warehouse Wednesday: Not a warehouse, but looking like one


Not a warehouse

Once upon a time, if houses were built beside a canal, they faced away from the water as if to ignore it.

Some time in the late 1970s, things changed and the waterside aspect became appealing. Developers turned the plans around so owners could enjoy the view of canal boats chugging by, and bunged another few grand on the price for the privilege.

These houses were built in 1988 and cost £90k - at the time a hefty price even for Leamington Spa. I don't know why I recall this but a colleague and her husband bought one and I remember it being a stretch for them at the time.

The canal, in case you are wondering, is to my right. 5 feet more and I'd have got wet feet whilst taking the picture.

Canal turning point

This is the view when I swivelled right. Nice place to three-point-turn your boat. 

Anyway, the point is that the houses at the top ape warehouses, even when they don't face the water. The whole estate is like this. Is the style called "mock towpath"? 



No comments: