Sunday, October 15, 2017

Great Electric Train Show 2017

Back street garage

Finally, a model railway show I can go to just for fun!

GETS is only 10 miles away from home so even if it wasn't always a top quality show, it would be worth a visit. As it is, I know the layouts will be really good and the trade interesting. As usual, I wasn't disappointed.

Back gardens

Despite this not being a work trip, I still spent a lot of time talking to people. That's good because the show was busy enough that getting to the layouts wasn't easy, at least not without pushing in and I'm not going to do that - I have a public persona don't you know! (Actually, there were a few people pointing at the bloke they had seen on a DVD. If that's you, come over and say hello, it's always nice to chat).

Inspection saloon

Of course and non-work trip means I didn't take a "proper" camera along, just my compact. That's a shame because Hattons Dave was able to show me the first painted samples of the P Class and it looks lovely. Sadly, my photos weren't great but it certainly made me want to order one. Dave volunteers on the Manx Electric Railway doing some superb restoration work. We chatted IOM rather more than model railways if I'm honest...

Moggie tools

As usual, one of the other benefits of the venue is that entry gives access to the motor museum and since I last visited a few months ago, the display has been significantly re-worked with a few new cars and others in positions that made photography easier. There is also a new Automobilia gallery which houses cabinets of motoring "stuff". As the show opened, I was examining the rear light cluster section. I know this will seem odd to a lot of people but the various Lucas bits and other small items are fascinating to nerdy people like me and it's nice to be able to see them. The NRM does a similar thing with its Warehouse section and I find that more interesting than the big locos normal people love.

LWMRS stand

I'm not going to try to pick a favourite layout, but I did think our club stand looked particularly good hosting an O gauge layout. The larger scale just had so much impact.

Anway, another excellent show. I came away with a few goodies for projects and managed to resist some others (those Hornby advertising cards did look nice) but then it's only the first of many shows I'll be at this month...

No comments: