Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Clamping curved things


Clamping curved bits of boats while the glue dries is always a bit of a nightmare. I have wasted many hours trying to persuade a pair of flat-faced and parallel jaws to hold things while they decide to slip off just when I think I've arranged them in a way that works.

My dad is building a ferry and hit the same problem. His solution was simple.

A big blob of Blu-tack on the jaws and then some worn out abrasive paper. This worked a treat, the paper providing enough grip and the Blu-tack helps sort out the angles. I'll remember this in future. 

4 comments:

James Finister said...

Is that some kind of landing craft type ferry, like the CalMac Island class?

matt scrutton said...

I ended up making a succession of jigs to hold my Bustlers bulwarks as the glue set. Unfortunately I doubt they'll ever be needed again.

Phil Parker said...

James - Something like that. Well spotted!

matt scrutton said...

Its not the vic smeed one is it?