Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Photo tent review


I've mentioned in the past that I have to take photos in odd places, and don't really want to be dragging a great big booth with me. Well, a few weeks ago, I spotted an interesting advert for something that looked like it would be perfect a few weeks ago on Facebook.

It wasn't cheap, but I could just about persuade myself the £60 was worth it.

Then I did a bit of searching and found the same photo studio tent on Amazon for under 20. Sold!

It seems there are a few versions of this device. Size matters most, the cheaper ones are 20cm wide, OK for some stuff, but as you see, not for the larger model.

Then there are different fixings to hold the thing together. Magnets sound good, but according to the reviews, are rubbish. Mine has old-fashioned massive press-studs and works a treat. OK.

The LED lights run for a long while on my pound shop mobile phone battery. I'm guessing hours, although I tend to turn them off when not in use.

The foam backgrounds supplied are good, but mark when you plonk oily wheels on them so I need to sort out replacements to save post-processing work.

Overall though, I'm very happy. It folds up small, weighs very little and is properly portable.

Recommended. 

Photo from the above shot before clean-up

2 comments:

Andy in Germany said...

Thanks for this Phil; I've been wondering about one of these for some time but wasn't convinced they would really work that well.

Huw Griffiths said...

I take it you are aware that larger sizes of cakebox are also available - well, they certainly were the last time I checked in my local craft shop.

Joking aside, the only thing that concerns me is that the next RMweb / BRM cakebox challenge doesn't involve building a photo backdrop, in a space of 200 * 200 * 150 mm.