Thursday, March 07, 2019

Weathering fit for a layout wagon


To finish off the coal wagon, a bit of weathering. 

I could have got out the airbrush and spent hours with Maskol making rust patches, but I think that is overkill most of the time. Don't get me wrong, done well these effects are brilliant, but for this model, I'm aiming for a generally dirty look rather than a specimen model. I want it to blend into the crowd. 

So, the first stage was a wash of thinned black paint. Once dry, a dry-brush with dark grey over the underframe. Then more dry-brushing with track colour and a bit of rust. Work quickly and the colours blend so nothing stands out. 

Finally, a dust with weathering powder. Quite a bit of Humbrol Smoke, but also dark brown. I work over a plastic tray which gradually fills with mixed powder and am happy to use this as well. Somehow there is a hint of green in there at the moment and it actually works on the model. Not much you understand, just a hint. 

And there we have it. A wagon fit for my layout. Easily achievable, nothing special in the way of materials or tools required either. 

No comments: