Thursday, August 27, 2020

A train for Willi

 

Regner Willi on skip train 

Willi needs a train, and everything I have in 45mm gauge, for the line in our garden, is a bit LGB. Lovely, but hardly approproate for our vertical boiler loco. 

No problem - a few quid thrown at Peter Binne and a couple of days later, a box full of kits arrives. 

We chose Hudson skip wagons. At a tenner each, they are cheap and easy to assemble. A coat of red oxide primer followed by a dry-brush of Humbrol No.70 does the job for the initial paintwork. I plan to try some rust replication products on them later, but want a working train first. 

A couple of chassis were also added to the order and these have been turned into flat wagons - you can read how I did this on World of Railways. (Go, on click on the link. It will be funny if this blog makes it into the higher levels of the monthly stats report) A process that's pretty painless and yet the results really (to my eye) look good. 

The train is 77cm long - plenty for a little loco and it should look nice snaking around the line. Being plastic, the wagons are quite light, but I'll glue some lead under the central rib initially. If they need more, some dummy loads will be required.

Regner Willi on skip train 

1 comment:

Fairywood Light Railway said...

Love the way you have turned a Binnie chassis into a flat wagon. I was thinking how I could put my small camera onto a wagon successfully, now I can.

Thank Phil.