Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Bachmann K6 telephone box



I hadn't intended Furness Quay to feature a telephone box, but browsing in my first post-lockdown visit to my local model shop, I spotted this Bachmann model handing on the wall. Those who know the layout name comes from the film "Local Hero" will know that a 'phone box plays a big part in the story and I decided that the layout could do with a splash of colour.

What sold the model to me was the quality. Unlike the Merit version, it's the right scale. The glazing is printed on clear plastic so it's flush and the bars are nicely thin. The only better box you will find is a well-assembled Langley kit.

For £5.95, I was happy to find it space on the model. Lovely little model from a range that isn't widely known about. I love a happy find - has anyone else a similar unexpectedly good item in a range to share?


4 comments:

James Finister said...

Like that other classic, the A4, the K6 is quite a subtle design. That means anything slightly wrong can scream out at you. In the case of the Bachmann one I think the two minor faults are the thickness of the roof, which needs to be a little bit crisper, and IRRC it is also slightly underscale? What it really needs is some very light weathering

Phil Parker said...

Not sure about the roof - I agree a little crisper around the edge would be nice, but it's pretty good. For me, the thin glazing bars make the difference.

Weathering - that is the problem. I would love to be able to tone it down, but the bars and glazing are printed so that's a difficult job. It might be possible, but I'll need one not glued to the layout to try.

For me, this is one of those undiscovered gems that all RTR makers have tucked away in the catalogue but don't get the recognition they deserve, the 1980s green plastic footbridge in the Hornby range is another example. I suspect that if a "name" used it in MRJ, modellers would be snapping them up!

KCD said...

I think it looks very good and adds a nice touch to the layout. Too bad you have to make it look dirty and grimy to add that little touch of realism, but I have never seen a clean outdoor phone booth unless it was brand new.

Andy York said...

As a paid-up TPAS member I need to bore you on omissions sometime, "I think you will find ...".