Monday, December 14, 2020

Why do I chose the big knife?

 

This probably sounds s bit random, but I've noticed a change in my model-making technique recently. 

Once, my scalpel would be almost like a finger, it spent so long in my hands. I cut with it, scrape with it and even poke things to make holes. 

Over the last few weeks though, I notice that I'm using the big craft knife for more and more jobs. 

Cutting jobs I'd have used the scalpel for in the past. Scraping too. 

I don't really know why. Maybe I'm just getting more confident, but then it's hardly like I'm a beginner at this stuff. Perhaps it's related to my enthusiasm for the larger file over the modellers favourite needle files. 

For many jobs, the big knife is faster yet still pretty manoeuvrable. This one fits nicely in my hand and the snap-off blades ensure I'm always working with a keen edge. Thinking about it though, it just doesn't seem right - but also ties in with a "get it done" attitude that many professional modellers have.

What is everyone else cutting with?

2 comments:

Geoff said...

Phil,

I tend to use the biggest knife that will do the job. My immediate to-hand knife in the model making toolbox is a small size (9mm) snap off blade type. For more delicate tasks I have a couple of scalpels - one with a straight blade and the other a curved one. For heavy cuts I use a large knife similar to the one you illustrate. Very occassionally I resort to a traditional retractable Stanley knife.

If I am doing a lot of heavy cutting I regulary re-sharpen the tip using a small diamond hone (approx 25 x 50mm). This takes only a few seconds and dramatically reduces the number of blade segments used.

Geoff

Grahame Every said...

hashtag Me Too. I use a piece of very fine sharpening stone - Arkansas Stone, I think, inherited from a much-missed old modeller friend. I sharpen my cutting blades all the time with it, and managed to keep one scalpel blade sharp enough to make a complete Scalescenes big factory/warehouse. I suppose I saved about 10p, but the satisfaction was priceless. It's my bit towards the war on waste, and I worry about putting blades this sharp in the rubbish bin. Can't be fun for the waste operatives.