Friday, December 17, 2021

Mick's mystery wagon


My friend, Mick Bonwick, passed away earlier this year. His loss to the model railway community is massive - if you've never read his blogs on RMweb covering weathering projects, you are in for a treat. 

Anyway, as you might expect, some of his model railway detritus arrived at the railway club for sale. Heaven knows what they will make of all my own tat, but I suppose I won't be there to care.I looked through and picked out a few weathering bits and this wagon. 

Why, you might ask. Well, for a start, I guessed no-one else would want it, and I always feel sorry for an underdog. 

Also, Pugh and Co. wagons were produced by Hornby in the 1980s and given away with new locos - I got one with my Jinty. These were red, and I wonder which is the more accurate colour. There's some nostalgia there.


It's a bit of a mystery. Mick wasn't (as far as I know) a collector, so why did he own this? 

Also, who made it? It's wooden with metal bits on the chassis, and wrapped in printed paper. I'm thinking an early Peco Wonderful wagon perhaps? 

Or maybe Merco or some other maker? Suggestions welcomed - I know you all love a challenge!

2 comments:

Simon Hargraves said...

When I saw the photos (and before reading the text) I wondered whether it might be a Wonderful Wagon; though I've never seen an early one, this does have a certain Peco-ness about it.
I have got some early 00 bits (eg: Kenline and ERG wagon kits and a Nucro chassis that came in a sealed envelope!) but none of the fittings look the same as this one, especially those distinctive buffers.
If it is a WW , one thing this has got that more modern ones don't is coloured solebars, the couple of WW kits I have lack them although one is black (Tarmac open) so doesn't need them anyway.
Somewhere I've got a sheet with printed sides and ends for a PO coal wagon, IIRC this also has solebars although it may not be from the same maker as I think the stlye of the drawing is different.
Whatever it meant to Mick, at least it's something for you to remember him by; the Pugh/Hornby connection is nice too.
I quite often pick up bits of prehistoric 00 at shows, they're often in boxes under the stall, usually unbuilt and can mostly be had for very little money; I sometimes wonder what happened to their original owners and whether they ever got around to building other items.
I hope you find out the origin of this one!
Simon.

James Finister said...

There is an advert for a card printed wagon matching this description in an old Hamblings catalogue that happened to be within grabbing distance of my desk. I used to love that shop.