Sunday, January 07, 2024

Chuffing at Kidderminster

 As promised, a selection of photos taken on a wet Saturday on Kidderminster station.

Maybe it's just me, but I really like the smell of a steam engine. I also enjoy being surrounded by steam when the draincocks are opened. That probably just sounds wierd...

There were plenty of families enjoying train rides, good news for the financial health of the line, and also the future of railway enthusiasm. 

The locos were beautifully turned out, and the carriages with just the right amount of dirt for them to look like working rolling stock. I found myself looking in the back of a brake coach, and drifting off to the days when this would have been a common sight on a branch line. Not something I can remember, but this is as close as I'll get. 

What I could remember, is when both the Peak and Class 20 in the station would have been earning their keep on the main line. Did I spot them when before they became pampered museum peices? I must see if I can find my old Platform 5 book. 

The weather might have been iffy. Cake at the museum was unsually far too sweet even for me, and in the pub, I sat next to someone who thought I was a football fan, but what a nice way to spend a few hours.

1 comment:

capabilitychris said...

Nothing like a steam locomotive for wallowing in nostalgia. I'm afraid the stench of a diesel gets right up my nose!