Sunday, January 21, 2024

If you know what it is, bargains can be found...

 

IOM railway axle box cover

Listed as "Vintage Isle of Man Metal Plaque - Shipping Line", the moment I spotted this on eBay, I knew it had nothing to do with boats, it's an axle box cover from an Isle of Man Railway wagon. 

Knowing this allowed me to snag it for a not very bargain price, but maybe a tenner or so less than it should be. 

Interesting that other examples have IMR cast in the front, rather than the triskelion. Mind you, my personal selection of views is limited, and shots in books aren't that clear. I'm assuming that both existed, but that three-leg version is incredibly rare and valuable. 

The colour is a bit of an issue. It's should be black, but as the plate is very firmly bolted to the board, and the nuts buried in filler around the back, getting it off for a strip and repaint isn't going to be easy. Fortunatly, the colour isn't unatractive, so I can live with it for now. 

Length: 17cm

Height: 11cm

No comments: