Sunday, September 02, 2007

Calliper in bits


calipers
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
With the calliper off the van at last I’ve taken it to bits on the workbench. According to my friendly mechanic getting the pistons back in is a nightmare – so I’m about right after all !

He recommends gently tapping them back with a hammer once I’ve replaced the seals. I ordered the bits from Just Kampers and fitted the outer ones seals. The inner ones require removal of the piston and they aren’t budging. I’d thought that once the callipers were in bits they’d pop out easy enough but it seems that only pressure from the braking system would do this – and the braking system is currently on the drive.

Anyway, the seals went in with a bit of a fiddle and the after some tapping, so did the pistons. I’m not convinced they will stay there under use but hopefully I’m just being pessimistic.

Now I’ll re-assemble the sides and try them back on the van.

No comments: