Saturday, September 29, 2007

Today's post


Wheel pack
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
The Romford wheels for the 1361 class have arrived. With a bit of luck this means the problem Markits has been having with the post have been solved.

The package also contained a shock. Each wheel cost around 4 pounds. That put these wheels at 9 quid an axle !

In comparison, a set of Gibson wheels will cost just under a fiver an axle from Mainly Trains while they are still available.

Romford wheels have never been particularly cheap. You are paying for some beautiful engineering and excellent quality. They aren’t easy to make either – but the pay off is the extreme ease of use. That alone will keep me using them.

I suppose in the overall cost of most of the models I build it’s not a huge chunk of the bill and since even I can’t destroy them (something I’ve managed with both Gibson & Sharman wheels) then they are a good investment.

No comments: