Sunday, September 23, 2007

The winner is...


Slingshot
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Me !

Yes, after a years hard campaign, I am the Knightcote Model Boat club Slingshot champion., by 4 laps.

Stupidly, I’m quite pleased with this. After several early sessions where I failed to finish some good, consistent races saw me rack up the laps. Sadly it doesn’t make me Lewis Hamilton, nor does it give me his budget. My fellow competitions were mostly older than I am and we know we’re just playing. It’s still fun..

We banter and take the mickey out of each other. Barging other boats is against the rules but it still happens accidentally. What we do have is a good time. Only the kids take it seriously, the rest just have a laugh.

What the racing has done is brought us together as a group regularly. Sailing can be a bit lonely as you often find yourself down at the lake on your own. Pleasant but the occasional group sail is nice too. People often bring down their Slingshot and another boat so you get to see what they are making, something that didn’t happen before.

Still, time to look forward to next year. I think the competition’s going to be a lot hotter and I have a title to defend.

No comments: