Saturday, September 01, 2007

Hornblocks


hornblocks
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Soldering the chassis together didn’t take long – about an hour and half, which even included sort of watching some television at the same time. I’ve decided that this locomotive should have a flexichassis so great chunks were fretted out to allow for the hornblocks.

Because they are handy I’m using MJT hornblocks. These assemble easily enough – you bend the guides up, push them in and run the tiniest amount of solder around the edge. Then the bearings are fitted one at a time. A lot of delicate filing later (use a big but fine file) I have four sets which slide freely.

You might notice solder on the face of the guides – this is ‘cos I remembered to take the picture only after I had removed the hornblocks from the chassis where I had fitted them too high the first time around…

No comments: