Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dunalistair chassis


Dunalistair chassis
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Funny thing this chassis - it doesn't run the length of the locomotive. The bogie hangs underneath the front of the footplate and this also contains the front of the frames including some of the inside valve gear.

What you see is a Morse's worth (about 1hr 45 minutes) of reasonably pain-free construction. It's a bit flimsy when being built but not bad when finished. I don't yet understand how the front end is supported but I'm sure I will eventually.

The only problem was working out the cosmetic valve gear. I replaced a couple of side bits with bent wire because it will look OK but be stronger and whole lot easier to put together and a collection of tiny brass bits. Of course normal people don't like the idea of beating a bit of wire flat in the vice but it's a surprisingly useful technique to get the hang of. I want a forge really...

No comments: