Friday, August 01, 2008

High build filler for hulls


Fillered Hull
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Let's be honest, unless you are really good, a hull needs some work to get it smooth. The Fantail boat hull was no exception, because I'm not really good.

Filler is usually required to cover up joins and dips in the surface but I'm rubbish at using it. This isn't made any easier by the material the hull is made from, balsa wood, being so stupidly soft compared to any filler I can lay my hands on. Anyway, the best solution (I thought) is to use a spray on filler. Get a nice thick coat of it over the model and then sand back to smooth.

The filler is available from motor factors (UK: Halfords) in an aerosol and if you are building a 1:1 scale car you'll use a lot of it as that's what goes between the metal and the paint. I used to see cars being restored and wondered why they went ochre coloured before being painted, now I know.

The filler works but you need to patient. I tried spraying it on, waiting for it to apparently dry and sanding back. The final coat of the day went on extra thick and looked OK but in the morning had settled to look even better. It's still not perfect but pretty good. Next stop a nice coats of gloss paint I think.

No comments: