Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fantail Launch - Finished


Finished Fantail Launch
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Just one job left on this model boat - make a tiller for the crewman to steer with.

I knew this would be a funny shape so did the right thing and hacked away at a cardboard template until I had found a shape that worked. This was then transferred to one of the leftover bits of basswood which was carved and sanded to produce the finished object.

After a couple of coats of gloss varnish, the arm has been glued to the arm of the figure - at the pivot end it just sits over the top of the rod and can be removed easily. Yes - I did check that the steering isn't impeded by this.

And that's the job done. I'm pleased with the end result. My intention was to produce an attractive boat with slightly fancy woodwork which is what I have. There have been fun and games on the way but I've learned a lot about working with fibreglass and wood so next time everything will be a lot easier.

Of course there is still one task with this model - I have to learn how to sail it properly now !

No comments: