Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fantail sailor


Fantail sailor
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
All model boats (and real boats too) need a crew. Anything less, IMHO, looks stupid. The Fantail crew isn't huge, one figure, but I wanted a good one. Luckily in 1/12th scale there is a reasonable range available from dolls house shops.

I prefer those moulded in resin as you get a reasonable level of detail as as long as the pose suits your purposes the figure stays where you want it. The horrid rubbery people so beloved of dolls house owners can't be posed as they retain the "stamped out in a press" pose more akin to scarecrows than real people. The faces look scary too like someone who has done too much botox.

For a fiver my man looked the part and the pose couldn't be better with an arm built for handling a tiller. The only thing was I didn't like the paint job. Obviously for the money it's impressive, or scandalous when you work out what the painter will have been paid, to get paint at all. I don't like the skin tone (too pale) and find the other colours on the weak side and indifferently applied.

My usual Humbol dry brushed with Revell paint skin started the transformation and was quickly followed by a complete change of colours. In my mind the sailor is a Victorian enthusiast who is sailing a steam launch he maintains, and possibly even built, himself. The jacket is a coarse material that will survive coal dust and the trousers definitely aren't the best. A hint of character is exposed by the red waistcoat and bow tie.

No - I haven't given him a name, I'm not that sad. But if anyone likes to suggest one I'm listening !

No comments: