Friday, June 29, 2018

Putting the Stirling Single through its paces


Having seen the Rapido/Locomotion Stirling Single at all the phases in its development, when the chance came to have a quick play with one, I couldn't resist. I've borrowed the BRM review sample and put it on my ancient H&M Rolling road. Since the loco is fitted with one of those new-fangled DCC chip things, I used my MERG DCC controller to bring it life. 

I'm not going to spoil things by reviewing the model, you can check out the July issue of BRM for that, but you can enjoy the video - turn those speakers up to 11!

One highlight of the package is the instruction manual. Written in the usual Rapido humorous style, it's worth going through just for entertainment, that you learn how not to break the model is an added bonus. The po-faced might not be happy, but making a normally dull document entertaining has the advantage that people will read the thing and perhaps even take the advice contained within. Clever move.




4 comments:

fifteenflatout said...

Phil, A nice looking model but spoilt by the sound chip. In the real world steam a locomotive and its train are stopped by first shutting the regulator and then applying the brake. The 'chuffing' noise stops when the regulator is closed.

Regards, Geoff

Phil Parker said...

Model railway sound is a bit subjective. I'm not a huge fan, but for the purposes of the video, thought everyone would like a listen.

Anonymous said...

Where can I get a Stirling single

Phil Parker said...

I think you are looking at the second hand market now.