Thursday, June 07, 2018

Vintage Speedboat in Model Boats magazine

July's issue of Model Boats magazine sees my vintage speedboat Miss-chief appear on pages 66-68.

Since the kit isn't available, I've turned the piece into a description of the trails and tribulations developing the model including the pretty significant alterations I made to the kit.

Those who know me, know I am always happy to admit my mistakes. We all get things wrong and it's daft to pretend otherwise. Worse, it puts off beginners who start to believe that everyone in a magazine is some kind of modelling genius that they can't hope to emulate.

In the spirit of honesty, I'll now admit that a couple of weeks ago, I met kit designer George Turner and he explained how the model should be built. Apparently, the idea is to bolt a Graupner racing rudder unit on the back of the boat. That never occurred to me at the time, but seems so obvious now!

No comments: