Sunday, January 13, 2019

Scout Rail 2019

Scoutrailcake

First show of the new year and I needed some cake. Healthy Phil has been in evidence over the last 12 months, and he's coming back for 2019, but I reckon that a single slice for lunch wouldn't hurt, especially with a healthy dinner (jacket potato and chilli since you ask) later one. Of course, I know Sout Rail is home to excellent cakeage but hadn't quite reckoned on the generous portions dished out. Possibly, by Sunday they had worked out how fast they needed to get us to eat up remaining stocks!

My trip wasn't really about cake, there were a couple of layouts I was keen to see in the flesh, and 45 minutes on the motorway seemed a reasonable distance to travel. Scout Rail is one of those little, local shows that can surprise with the models on show. I remember exhibiting there myself many years ago.

Trinity Dock Street Bridge telephone box

As well as the small scale stuff, there are always a couple of garden scale models just for me, and I enjoyed watching the live steam action on one and chatting to the owners of both. In fact, chatting for Garden Rail was a big part of the day. I twisted someone's arm a little to write up some of their projects while munching my cake, if this pays off there will be some really interesting models for readers.

Peckett

I did manage to resist adding to the kit pile, although there was a superb new book on narrow gauge railways that just had to come home with me...

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Hi Phil, I remember helping you with a little operating on Melbridge Dock at Scout Rail around 2006 or so? I have a feeling that Kidlington's Scout Rail was sometimes scheduled between Christmas and New Year in the past, but perhaps my memory is playing games with me?