Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Warehouse Wednesday: Modern crane

Modern Crane

Wandering around Kings Cross Waterloo on Monday, I spotted this behind the station and realised it would make a useful prototype for modern modellers. 

As far as I can tell, it's used for lifting and dropping materials down a hole for use on the underground. There is a similar one near(ish) my house for the local water company to do the same sort of job so I assume it's a common design. 

This hole this one operates over is covered with a giant steel grating which is lifted by some hoist things. 


I suspect these are less useful as prototypes, unless you are building a model of Waterloo station anyway!

4 comments:

matt scrutton said...

Its the maintenance access for the Waterloo and City line. If you peer over the edge you can see tube stock parked up. W&C line fiddle yard?

Dodge said...

Hi Phil
Think that is Waterloo station, used to work there,for supplying W & City line

Dodge said...

Hi Phil
Think that is Waterloo station, used to work there,for supplying W & City line

Phil Parker said...

Sorry, yes it is Waterloo. If I did one thing at a time, perhaps my brain wouldn't get cofoosed.