Friday, July 05, 2019

Ash Products Double Decker Bus kit

This is how kits used to be. Proper modelling.

All the parts are made from wood. I assume the sides are die-cut as the opening are very neat. That's quite an investment in tooling. You need high-quality plywood too, none of the rubbish balsa found in Keil-Kraft kits.

Seats and details are also made of wood. Again, I have to wonder at the effort the kitmaker has gone to producing these, even though they are fairly crude.

The instruction sheet is massive and includes a plan. I wonder how many of these models were ever made up. Personally, this is in the "to do" kit pile as I don't think it is that rare and while the model won't match the latest diecast or plastic models, but it has a charm of its own.

3 comments:

James Finister said...

I remember reading about this style of construction for road vehicles in old books of the Beal/Ahern generation.

I do wonder if it is time for a new generation of card/wood kits. We have seen it to some degree with small scale buildings.

Unknown said...

What would they be worth as i have 2 unopened in box still

Phil Parker said...

No idea. Whatever someone is willing to pay. I suspect that the pool of buyers isn't large so around a fiver I guess, but maybe there is a market I'm not aware of and it's much more!