Friday, July 26, 2019

The many uses of talc for modellers

Got a granny? Sadly no. It's a pity as my modelling toolkit needs something grannies seem to have plenty of - talcum powder.

I'm not sure why it seems to be such an old-fashioned product. After all, you can still buy it in the shops, but I've never actually felt the need to do so. Or at least not for a while.

A tub of talc has a permanent spot on my modelling board. It does loads of jobs:
  • Patted into the paint on buildings, the colour is matted, blended and lent a tiny bit of texture. Thanks to Iain Rice for that tip. 
  • On a file, it reduces the clogging when filing whitemetal. 
  • Applied as a weathering powder, it tones down the colours of others. Handy if you've been a bit heavy-handed. 
  • Sprinkled into tarmac colour paint, it adds just a hint of texture. Thank Marytn Welch for that one. 
  • If you have glue, especially epoxy traces on your hands, a sprinkled of talc will soak it up and prevent gluey fingerprints. 
  • Spil glue on the cutting mat, talc soaks it up like cat litter deployed by a school caretaker on a pavement pizza. 
 Anyway, after many years of service, my pot ran out.  After a dig in the cupboard, I have a replacement which I'm sure will make my modelling smell lovely!


6 comments:

matt scrutton said...

I like the file idea. I'll have a go at that

Anonymous said...

Another use for talcum powder.

Mix it with (slow setting) two part epoxy glue. The resulting "filler", when set, can be carved (sculpted) with a suitable scalpel blade.


Christopher Payne

Christopher said...

Phil, yes, I discovered some time ago that talcum powder was better used on models than on myself...

A couple of other uses? I think it might have been the Phoenix Precision painting handbook "The Finishing Touch" (can't remember the author) that suggested mixing talc and paint to make a simple filler. Also, I have some Phoenix Precision BR freight stock grey paint that takes several days to dry (even after being well-stirred). I have found that gently rubbing talcum powder over the surface and then blowing it off, helps to remove the tackiness and also makes the finish more matt.

tomholio said...

Also comes in handy if you're brave enough to dance to northern soul records whilst modelling (apply to the dancefloor)

DaveD said...

Thanks , fine tips!

Steam Yak said...

I think it was in the Airfix magazine in the 60s which suggested putting talc in black paint to give a more realistic finish for car tyres.

Sean