Thursday, July 25, 2019

Cutting foamboard square


For a project, I need to cut some foamboard. It's not a material I use a lot as I've never been happy with the edges I cut. I want square once, but always manage to hold the knife blade at an angle. With the thickness of the board, this looks a bit rubbish.

I know someone will say there is a proper tool for the job, but the only one I have is for 45-degree cuts, and I don't get on with it anyway.

Inspiration struck and I realised if I used a knife with snap-off blades, I could run it along the side of a bit of wood to keep it verticle. OK, the wood will eventually get carved away, but I only needed a few cuts.

For such a low-tech method, it actually worked very well. I don't suppose the cuts are perfect, but that are easily good enough for the job, and that's all I need. 

2 comments:

B1956 said...

I hope this helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh-VzEX1pis

Anonymous said...

Do a search on youtube for Eric Strebel foamcore or foamboard. Covers the basics of using the stuff. He also does some on cardboard and many other subjects useful to modellers.

Brian G