Friday, January 24, 2020

Faller Hit Train

The Faller Hit Train from the 1970s has been on my wishlist for around ten years judging from this post. A combination of utterly mad design and O gauge track appeals to me - more so since I got back into garden railways properly.

Prices have always been a touch higher than I've wanted to pay. If I were serious, I'd pony up, but I'm not that serious at the moment. However, a chance find on eBay of a set on the cheap means I now have a set to play with.

Sadly, it's the steam loco rather than the completely mad electric loco, and even this is missing its chimney, but at least I can have a proper look.

After a bit of contact cleaning, the loco works. It's fast needs the traction tyres on the powered wheels to pull anything, but that's to be expected. This is a toy after all.

The rolling stock is nice. I like the printed cardboard passengers in the coach.

I'm still confused as to how all this came about, but then I never understood those slightly mad cartoons made in Europe that infested children's telly when I was a kid either.

The track is nice and sturdy. Ideal for a temporary garden railway. The points look better than the Tri-ang "Big-Big" versions. It also seems to command proper money. A shame because it would be ideal for my one-day layout at the 16mm AGM.


2 comments:

James Finister said...

I have a stash of both the plastic and brass faller track from my last micro-garden line. I think a loan for the show might be possible though I'm not sure what state it is in.

Paul B. said...

I like! Rather more appealing than 'ornby's somewhat odd take on steampunk.