Thursday, January 30, 2020

Layout building fun, "daring" moments and ballast in BRM

When I spotted the Hornby Family Fun Project at its launch last year, I knew that there was an interesting Phil Project in the box.

My plan was to take the basic model to the next level using more advanced scenic techniques than those in the instructions. After a bit of badgering, Hornby sent me a box of goodies and over the Christmas period, I got stuck in.

The result is everything I'd hoped for. It's still a train set, but a really pretty train set, Everything I've done could be applied to an existing FFP too, so if you've finished yours, I've provided a few ideas to keep the fun going.

Celebrating Hornby's 100th birthday, my contribution includes this:

Yes, it's the guts of a Turbo Car. Originally called "Hornby's Maddest Moments", the more sensible heads in the office decided that my review of the companies more innovative products over the years should be "Hornby's Most Daring Moments". Never mind, the point is that Hornby do surprise us with off-the-wall ideas and that's what I love about them. It's alsoi where I spend my money. Guess who's got a Rocket set on order?


My camera has been out again, this time snapping the extension to Campbell's Quarry. Adding a shed gives John space to display his growing collection of locomotives. Personally, I don't understand having more locos than your layout needs...

Finally, I'm a wizard on our DVD.


Not really, I'm just wielding a paintbrush to show you how to ballast track. Someone asked me to do this at a show, so here we are. Everyone needs to ballast track after all.

More RMweb.

4 comments:

Paul B. said...

Interesting to see split frames on the Turbo Car chassis, maybe they thought that conventional wipers would add too much drag on a vehicle that relies on a bloomin' great propeller to shift itself?

You're not the only one with a Rocket on order by the way! I don't generally do RTR but I'm really quite excited by this one.

Salmotrutta said...

I would nominate "Lord Westwood" as the pinnacle of the "maddest moments". Although I wonder if it was the inspiration for the Harry Potter locomotive??? Enjoying your blog by the way!

Phil Parker said...

Thanks, Salmotrutta. I think painting a GWR loco red with white lining is an improvement. :-)

James Finister said...

That layout reminds me of Alan Wright' - On The Wight Lines, RM Sept '67