Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Finishing touches

After the brickwork is dry, it's time for some finishing touches for the hut. Windows and doors are painted. Glazing is carried out using Deluxe Materials Glue'n'Glaze. Guttering goes on (and looking at the photo I've just spotted the downpipe needs bending back. No idea how that happened) after painting. 

I've used dull colours - Humbrol 147 pale grey for the white and Revel 8 for the black bits. Neither is a pure colour and looking all the better for it. 

The roof is Humbrol 67 (Tank grey, not 69, yellow, as an earlier version of this post said) dry-brushed while tacky with 66 and then a good dusting of talcum powder. Hardly any work but the effect is very good. I'm not a fan of picking out dozens of slates - you need to seriously blend things afterwards if the colour isn't to look forced. 

Anyway, the hut is (for the moment) done. I hope Pete would approve of it. One day I'll build a layout for it to call home. When I do, there will be weathering and perhaps some interior work but that's for another day. 


5 comments:

Alec said...

Hi. Humbrol 69 is gloss yellow? What colour did you use?

Alec

Phil Parker said...

Sorry - Typo It should be 67, Tank Grey. I'll fix the post.

Chris Ford said...

Open doors are always a winner.

James Finister said...

Nice. I must admit I'm wondering about changing the way I currently glue n glaze in a different way. It always seems so obvious that I've used it, whether because of the lens effect or because of where it settles in the depth of a window frame.In fact I suspect there is a combination of the two that can make window frames look far too deep.

What I'm not sure about is what I can change. Things I've considered are temperature and orientation whilst it is drying, or even something more radical like applying it on top of a piece of clear plastic. I had some success using it a way like that to improve the windows on a Basetoy truck, applying a thin layer on top of the moulded glazing.

Phil Parker said...

I think there is something about the depth of the window frames. This exacerbates the meniscus that produces a lens. Trouble is, cutting out individual bits of plastic is a pain and I'm not sure the results, in my hands, would be sufficiently superior for the effort involved.