Friday, July 24, 2020

Hornby Rocket


Finally arrived at Parker Towers, the new Hornby Rocket set.

I've gone for the standard set, not the Tri-ang celebration version. Since there is a 1960s model in my collection already (although it eludes me at the moment, hence no comparison shot with the loco) I'd rather have the slightly cheaper normal for 2020 version. Not that 2020 is that normal.

The first problem is getting the thing out of the foam packing. It's not too tight or anything daft like that, but until you realise that there a finger holes to push from the back, buyers are going to be tempted to grab a delicate part.

Out of the box, the first impression is how delicate and detailed this model is.


While I couldn't find the loco, I did find a spare coach. Sitting side by side, it's like the new and old Mini's, with the modern coach being the Issigonis original. The older model (mine is from the 1980s re-issue) is at least 1/3rd bigger.

It's also a lot less detailed. A lot less. Mind you, if you are clumsy, it's more likely to survive your attentions as the very fine ironwork on the ends and roof, plus those plastic steps, will be easy to break.The designers have gone to town on the modern model. Both the coach and loco are tiny masterpieces of both design and manufacture. 

On the track, the model is smooth running but you're not going to get it hauling long trains. No real surprise there since two driving wheels with little space for weight over then isn't a recipe for haulage.

A brave move from Hornby is to abandon the tension-lock couplings in favour of moulded chains that clip on to hooks. The chain is solid to permit reversing of the train. If you only go forwards and have gentle curves, you could replace them with real chain. Chances are it would be easier to fit on the hooks as the supplied holes are a bit tight.

The only test layout I had to hand is Furness Quay and the train happily traversed the sharp point in both directions. It's going to demand reasonable track laying for reliable running, but that's the nature of the prototype, not the fault of the model.

Overall, I'm really pleased with this. For £179.99 the set, it's as cheap as a good OO loco and while destined to be a shelf queen for most people, I suspect will provide a lot of pleasure running alongside your APT-E and Wickham Trolley. Just be very careful when you pick it up.

1 comment:

Paul B. said...

RTR doesn't interest me generally, but I couldn't resist a Rocket. I've had mine for a few weeks now and its still in its box. One day I'll give it a run but for now it can be a shelf queen. Actually, it might always be a shelf queen. And I couldn't care less.