Monday, July 20, 2020

Hull painting




Look at that moulding line!

Time for proper traditional plastic kit modelling with a sanding session lasting an hour turning the top rail from a moulding to flat. It might only be half a millimetre to sand away with various grades of abrasive stick, but it didn't half make a mess!

After a clean up, I could move on to painting.


I'm following the box colours because I really like them. This might be a working boat, but that's no reason for it to look dowdy, quite the opposite.

Proper modellers would mask everything up and spray. I couldn't be bothered and did everything by hand. Three thin coats of the Humbrol satin green and brown. The black mostly only too one.

Everything was left to dry properly, so the job took several days, and the result is pretty nice. Spraying might have been a little better, but with my hopelessness with masking tape, I suspect I'd have been chasing around with a brush anyway.

Transfers name it after the horse in Steptoe and Son and I finish off with the light spray (from an aerosol) of satin varnish.

Not many words for a long job, but at least I'm well into the fun bits now.

No comments: