Thursday, July 02, 2020

Oilbrusher




I'm a bit of a tool junkie and have drawers full of stuff that barely see the light of day.

A couple of years ago, I picked up this Mig "Oilbrusher". It's a touch-up pen for modellers. If you've ever made tiny repairs to car bodywork you'll know the drill - a brush is fitted to the cap and lives dunked in paint. Unscrew-paint-screw. No need for cleaning.

To be honest, this looked useful but mostly lived o the shelf. Building Furness Quay, it came into it's own. Painting around masked off point blades, picking up missed bits of rail, in fact, thanks to the colour (Dark Mud) I suddenly found myself using it for all sorts of jobs.

While I don't' really understand the bright colours - this isn't the tool to use for painting the body colour on anything - a bit of dirt hides a multitude of sins. More importantly, it hides a multitude of bare resin or metal. The paint is quite thick and happy to stick to anything.

A useful addition to the toolbox in my opinion. Yes, I know I could just use a brush and paint, but sometimes, convenience wins.


1 comment:

Luke said...

The Oilbrushers aren't designed to be touch-up pens.
The idea is to apply small dots of oil pain to surfaces and them blend them in with thinners, either to modify a colour, provide chromatic richness or to produce streaks.
The best description of how to sue them comes from the man who designed them, Mig Jimenez.
https://youtu.be/PgtqutK5NvY