Thursday, October 22, 2020

What goes in a model boat?


 

James asks: 

Years ago I built a static model based on a Glyyn Guest design - I didn't know at the time but the prototype I chose actually worked on the River Welland just a few miles from where I now live. 

Anyway, after a gap of 30 years, I'm tempted to have another go at one of his designs. I guess it is nostalgia, and despite being surrounded by dykes I suspect I might never get to sail it. 

The design I like is his a US Fleet Tug "Chumash" I've got the plans and the original article from RCBM back in 1990. It is 4" beam, 25" long and he reckoned came out at 2kg displacement. 

His recommendation was a 540 motor and a Graupner 2308.35 prop. So if I was building it today what would be the basics I need in terms of RC? I'm presuming a basic esc, a mico servo and a reliable 2.4 ghx rx . I'm presuming any Rx will bind with any 2.4 ghz Tx? and batteries? 

I really want something that will be rock solid and simple, and cheap obviously. 

Or for a one off that will hardly get any use should I just buy a cheap RTR boat/crocodile head and cannibalise it? 


My suggestions:

1) Don't go the cheap boat route, you end up with rubbish steering and speed control.

2) I'm using a RadioLink T8FB now (ignore the Planet receiver in the photo above, you can't get these now). You can't bind any transmitter to any receiver, they need to be the same make. RadioLink seem to have the longest life and lots of people use them. Hobby King will do them if you aren't in a hurry, but there are UK suppliers. It seems pretty reliable and the transmitter aerial is robust.

3) You need a speed control (Viper 15A for brushed motors) which is about 20 quid and a servo. Batteries for a Tug, I'd go for a jelly cell since you need weight anyway and they will sail for hours on one charge. Component Shop are good, but others available. If you prefer Ni-Mh's, definitely Component Shop. Very helpful people.

4) Any servo will do the job. There are loads of options but they are all cheap. Again, CS above will sell them and the motor.

Hope this helps. Good luck and let me know how you get on.

 

No comments: