Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Crew

 

Bit of a crisis with the Lewin build - I went to my box of good figures for a crew, and the cupboard was bare! I don't know when I used the last set, but obviously didn't think to re-order. 

Loco crew figures will always come in handy, so I spent some time replenishing the stash from the Dart Castings website. I know 3D printed people are more fashionable, but I've always liked the Monty's Models range. At the time they first appeared, they were a revolution compared to some of the badly proportioned horrors of the time. These are a lot cheaper too, always a bonus. 

Anyway, a few days later a Jiffy bag arrived with my order, and I set to to decide which person would fit in the cab. Answer, very few of them. In the end, I think that MSV71 Industrial or Narrow gauge loco driver will just about squeeze in. The cab is very low and the others are just too tall. IT's a job for some HO scale people really. 

A bit of paint flipped over him, followed by a wash of Nulin Oil, and he will look the part. The photo close-up is cruel, he looks much more refined in real life!


4 comments:

Steve said...

Monty's Models figures are a good choice. They are nicely detailed and slightly 'chunkier' than some 00 'skinny' scale figures. Look out for the lady in the headscarf with the fag in her mouth - a classic!

Mark said...

Interestingly I've just bought the exact same figure to finish of the tiny 10HP Baguely loco -- I've had to do some minor surgery to get his arms in the right place and haven't got around to painting him yet, but he's next on the list!

Christopher said...

I’m a fan of Monty’s figures too, for most of the same reasons you mention. (I can’t understand why 3D printed figures are more expensive in comparison, but perhaps it is all the IT work?) I mostly use thinned Winsor and Newton Galeria acrylics for painting (with “zenithal priming”), and this seems to work well.

Phil Parker said...

I suspect 3D printed figures don't offer the same economies of scale that a moulding system does. The smart move IMHO is to take the 3D printed item and cast it in resin where possible. OK, you can't easily do this with figures, but a lot of other stuff would lend itself to this.