Friday, September 02, 2022

Ruining a collectable?

 

Coventry Wagon
Looking for fodder for an upcoming BRMTV video, I grabbed this Coventry Collieries wagon for a bit of interior work. It wasn't until I got the model back home I realsied that it's a rare collectable. No.397 of 504 according to the card. It's even come from a model shop that no longer exists. 

Ah, the heady days of working in Warwick with two model shops in Smith Street. One sold diecast cars and Humbrol paint. The owner was a nice guy and I made many a trip there during my lunch time to stock up. 

Castle Trains were a proper model shop. The owner was an IT contractor and left the shop in the care of his wife during the week. At weekends, he could usually be found at a show, attending them up and down the country. As I recall, it was a modest, well-stocked shop, but she didn't like me much as once she found out I was a member of the local club, every visit saw me on the end of the moan that the members weren't patronising the shop enough, as though that was somehow my fault. If I walked past, it was on the other side of the street so be safe. My wallet probably benefited!

Anyway, I don't know how I came to own this wagon, but it's no longer got a box, or a certificate. The model is by Bachmann, and very nice. It's a local(ish) company too. 

So, if you have one of these, I've just made yours a little more valuable. Please send me 10% of the increase...

4 comments:

James Finister said...

Yes, some model shops only had themselves to blame. like the ones you walked into and were ignored as they chatted to mates

Phil Parker said...

It can be a difficult judgement. Last week, I dropped into the local art gallery and the attendants wouldn't leave me alone. I just wanted to look round!

A skilled shop owner will keep an eye on the customer and break the ice if they think this is required. And not spend all day chatting to their mates - who probably aren't buying anything, just cluttering up the place!

James Finister said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Finister said...

The balance is complex, and many on both sides of the counter can struggle with what society considers normal social skills.

One thing I learned years ago on sales stands was never to start an interaction with "Can I help you"