Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Salopian Models, Shrewsbury

 

Salopian Models

Stroll into Shrewsbury from the station, and you can't really miss Salopian Models - it's the building with the spire on top. Possibly the grandest model shop in the UK? 

Inside the modest shop, it's very nicely stocked with a good range of paints and glues. There are plastic kits, and a very impressive range of RTR model railway items. To see Accurascale models on the shelf in the same way we expect to see Hornby and Bachmann is a surprise and should give the older brands pause for thought. After all, the average punter won't know the difference, and will assume that the upstart is as big as the old timers. 

If there is anything missing, it's a second-hand selection, useful to persuade people to drop in on the offchance something interesting has come in on a regular basis. As it is, were this down the road from me, I'd be a regular just for the consumables. 

Salopian Models website

1 comment:

Simon Hargraves said...

I somehow missed the spire! When I visited last year, I'd been to the Cambrian Heritage Railway at Oswestry so came in to Shrewsbury by bus. There's a fairly steep set of steps up from the bus station and you come out almost opposite the shop; I was taking more notice of the traffic in an effort not to get run over so failed to look up...
Like you, I felt the lack of second hand but absolutely agree it's a very well stocked shop and one that would be good to have as your "local".
I left with an N gauge Dapol Fruit D, must pop back up soon as It'll be interesting to see how it's developed since my last visit.
Simon.