Friday, March 31, 2023

Buying the runt of the litter

 

LGB 92090
It's not pretty, is it? 

Picked up for a bargain tenner, when buying something a lot more impressive, I felt sorry for this little loco, and promised to restore it to it's original glory one day. 

The model, I recognised. It's LGB 92090 - a "side-rod diesel" normally found in the 90450 starter set. I've always quite liked the quirky looks of this model, and have even been tempted to buy the set when I've seen it at a show, just to own it. 

No need to do that, but I will have to carry out a bit of work. The model has been tinkered with, and converted to battery power. 

There's an on/off switch in the cab, and a speed control sticking out of the bonnet. Neither enhances the model, although they do work. 


As for the paint job, the less said about that the better. I'm told that the previous (and late) owner liked to weather his model, and this was presumably part way through the process. There are some lumpy bits that look like Maskol under the paint, to produce rust patches a-la the instructions in The Art of Weathering

So, what's the plan? 

Well, I think I'll ditch the battery setup. That way the boddy will fit properly again. Spare pickup skates are available so I'll learn a bit fitting them. I would like battery power as an option and have ideas involving a van full of battery and Fosworks RC equipment. This will be the perfect model to text those ideas on, since it can't get any worse!

The body looks like it needs a bath in some Dettol to remove the paint, something else I've not done succesfully in the past, followed by a respray. Handrails and a new headlight are required too, so I'll have to see if I can order, or fabricate some of those. 

I'm thinking orange...

3 comments:

Luke Stevens said...

I think it is pretty in it's own way. But I'm pleased it is in the hands of somone who will help it be who it wants to be!

Nick Brad said...

I love ugly little diesels, in fact I love anything a bit oddball, a look at my car history will attest to that, along with my love of Rustons, Alcos and the W&U tramway.

I'm concerned that there are 5 different types of battery in there, it goes partway to explain the poor fit of the body and why this was never completed, the previous owner clearly had enthusiasm, but wasn't prepared to put in the effort to do the job well.

Phil Parker said...

I replaced the mix of rechargables with dry cells to test the model. They are all AA though, so there's no size difference. I suspect the project got so far, and then went on the back burner, as these things do.