Friday, August 18, 2023

Lacquer the lobster!

 

While down at the RMweb members day earlier in the year, I enjoyed the Metal Head sculptures, by local artish Steven Heard.


There is a trail you can follow - using this map - if you are in the area. It's well worth it, as these are brilliant. 

Anyway, I was admiring some animals outside the town Internet Cafe, and they owner told me that Steven was appearing at a craft show in the next building!

Off I trotted, and there he was, along with some other work he'd produced. Well, this seemed like a good time to do a bit of present shopping, since I know my Mum loves this sort of thing. She also loved lobster, so the choice of subject was easy. 


Best of all, I was able to grab a photo of the man himself with the lobster. 

The only problem is, this needs to live outside. So, once it had been handed over, I promised to give it a bit of weather protection. 

Spraying lacquer onto metal isn't a great idea if it's cold and damp. Hence the delay of many weeks while I waited for the sun to come out. When it did, the lobster sunbathed on the garden table to get the metal nice and warm, then half a can of Halfords' best was applied in several coats, being sure to protect the nooks and cranies. 

I know this won't last forever, the lobster will still rust, but hopefully more slowly. 

You can read more about the Metalheads project here. 


No comments: