Monday, August 14, 2023

Thatched cottage, 009 wagon and photos in the latest BRM

 

Another busy month in Septembers' British Railway Modelling magazine. I start with a Scottish cottage based on a Petite Properties kit. The scary thing is, I knew it needed to be thatched, and that's not something I've ever done before. 

A little experimentation, and I think I've pretty much pulled it on. It's not Pendon, but not bad, and most importantly, achievable for the reader. 

There's also some wagon building in 009. OK, assembling a plastic kit wagon won't excite everyone, but there are some (hopefully) useful techniques thrown in which should make the article more generally useful. 

I've also built an N gauge travelling workshop, and looked tweezers, coal and brush restorer. 

Camera out, and I've two layouts in this issue. 

Aldergrove, in N gauge, is an attractive and interesting layout that anyone could seek to emulate. Yes, it's all Metcalfe buildings, but well assembled, they really look the part. I've long argued that consistancy is more important then anything else, and since nothing stands out as better or worse than anything else, the overall picture is really impressive. 

Queens Street is a minimum space O gauge model that is packed with detail. I loved it, shooting at the last Guildex, determined that we'd get it on the page. It's very much a layout I'd like to build, which is good enough for me!

On the DVD, yes, newstand copies get a DVD this month, I'm showing you how to gas a locomotive. 

We've produced a series of tips, in the manner of the 1990s BBC2 series Trade Secrets. The trouble was, that two days before filming, I ended up in hospital, so only recorded a single segment. Fortunatly, Howard was able to dig a load of stuff out of the archive, and the result looks really good.

Back issues of September 2023 are available from the World of Railways store.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't think I've ever seen a thatched cottage in Scotland. Maybe because the reeds don't grow locally. Turf roofs yes. Stone roofs, sometimes. Slate often. Still it's a nice model and there's a prototype for everything somewhere.