Sunday, March 10, 2024

Midlands Garden Rail Show 2024

Some of my Glasgow time was taken up with a problem - what could I put on as a stand at the Midlands Garden Rail show? We'd booked a stand, but for various reasons, there wasn't anyone from the office to help man it. I was on my own. 

A quick check with the organisers and I knew I had three 6ft by 2ft tables, and some electricity. A bit of measurement and I realised that a circuit of the tighted LGB track would fit. All it needed was decoration. 

A couple of bags of compost, some potting grit for ballast, a roll of "grass" aquired in a workshop clearout, all topped with a couple of trays of flowers, and I had a solution - a cut-down "Layout in a day". 

My pair of LGB Toy Train locos put in sterling service hauling a couple of flat wagons and a coach around all day. I did have to scrounge some Blu-Tack to stop the brnaded loads sliding around, but apart from that, it all went well. We even sold some subscriptions. Not bad considering the leaflets didn't turn up until Sunday, the quieter day. Thanks Evri for taking four days to perform a 24-hour service. 

I'm quite pleased with the look of the layout. OK, it's simple, but shows that there's little in the way of limits to building a garden railway. Watching a train run in a circle is suprisingly realxing, according to the lady on the model engineering stand opposite!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Maybe a loop of the 3d print Loco Remote track might work well in future for a compact setup?
Evri are very cheap btw, but spend out on DPD if you want it quickly though!

Phil Parker said...

Nice idea, but you can't put power through 3D printed track. And those tight curves, combined with battery locos, will need supervision. The beauty of the LGB is you can switch in on, and it will just keep running while I go and find some cake...