Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Not too good to mess around with

 

At the Midlands show, I managed to pick up something that I've wanted for a long while - a Tri-ang Big-big diesel shunter. 

An odd beast, it's pretty much perfect for 16mm scale, and sits oddly with the O gauge items in the rest of the range. No matter, I've never owned one, but thanks to Elaine's Trains and a very reasonable price (£25), I now do. 

I could have paid a fiver more and bought a much nicer example. One without a dodgy paint job. In fact it looked pretty pristine. Not mint, but really good. 

Too good to mess around with. My plans for this (one day!) involve litle more than a better repaint, and some light detailing. I want a model that looks like a breathed on Tri-ang model. The sort of thing you'd have seen on 16mm layouts, when these things were newish. 


Am I daft to think like this? I've only saved a fiver over buying the better model. But then this might have sat unloved on the stand (I doubt it to be fair, there's a demand for them) and I feel I can do stuff without feeling I'm messing up an original model.

2 comments:

James Finister said...

Please share with the Big Big Appreciation Group on FB.

Note modern C batteries appear to be larger than when this was made, so there is a danger of breaking the body when using them. Personally I would be very tempted to upgrade with Locoremote electronics.

Phil Parker said...

Interesting point about the C cells. There are lots of options now, but I will probably fit AA's as they are cheap, and I buy them by the ton from Costco.